Sudan: Protests in many cities because of the deterioration of the living conditions

Recently, demonstrations in many Sudanese cities about the weakening living conditions have transformed on disturbances acts like burn down some government buildings, damaging private properties, and stole stores. These protests and security disorder have intensified with the declaration of the formation of the new government.

It’s expected that the newly-designated ministers would take the constitutional oath on Wednesday in front of Sovereign Council chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, in the presence of the Chief Justice Nemat Abdullah.

Moreover, the newly appointed Sudanese Finance Minister, Gibril Ibrahim, who is also chef of the Justice and Equality Movement, promised in his first statement to deal with the fuel and bread and provide medicine at reasonable prices.

While in Nyala city, the capital of South Darfur, people protested against the price of bread and its insufficiency, and demonstrations moved to the neighborhoods and the city’s central market. Nyala Governor Moussa Mahdi informed the Sudanese official news agency that police achieved to separate the protesters after they tried to enter the shops in the market with the force.

Furthermore, the State Security Committee declared a state of emergency, imposed a curfew, and postponed schools. Also, Security forces detained weapons and ammunition in the possession of detained protesters and noted minor property losses.

Security forces used tear gas and live ammunition to separate the large masses, Witnesses informed Asharq Al-Awsat. They also said that some groups penetrated the protesters to loot stores and the public market’s warehouses, adding that police forces stopped their attempts and banned acts of vandalism against public and private properties.

Police forces were largely deployed in the city, with also some army units, and Rapid Support Forces, anxiously of more protests, according to local sources, according to local sources.

In addition, North Darfur’s government declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew in the capital, al-Fashir, from 6 pm. It also closed schools for three days and took strict procedures to secure strategic areas, government institutions and markets.

While the government affirmed in a statement on Tuesday that peaceful protests in the capital were penetrated by saboteurs and those with political agendas, and saboteurs start burning and sacked a number of government institutions and commercial headquarters in the large market and many police cars.

In the meantime, dozens of school students took the streets of Port Sudan, in the east, after the flour crisis that resulted from the strike by bakery owners because of the tariffs imposed on backed bread.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights