Axios: Trump moves closer to a major war with Iran
The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump appears to be preparing for a major war in the Middle East that could be very close.
The U.S. news website Axios, citing sources, reported that any American military operation against Iran would likely take the form of a large-scale campaign lasting several weeks and would resemble a full-scale war more than the precise operation conducted last month in Venezuela.
According to the sources, the operation would most likely be a joint U.S.-Israeli campaign, broader in scope and more consequential for the Iranian regime than the 12-day war led by Israel last June, which the United States later joined to destroy underground Iranian nuclear facilities.
Axios noted that such a war would have a profound impact on the entire region and significant consequences for the remaining three years of Trump’s presidency.
With Congress and public opinion focused on other matters, there is almost no public debate about what could become the most significant U.S. military intervention in the Middle East in at least a decade.
Trump was reportedly close to ordering a military strike on Iran in early January in response to the killing of thousands of protesters. When that opportunity passed, the administration shifted to a dual-track approach, engaging in nuclear negotiations while simultaneously building up a massive military presence.
After postponing the operation and assembling such substantial forces, Trump has raised expectations regarding the nature of potential action should an agreement fail to materialize — a scenario that currently appears likely.
On Tuesday, U.S. envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff met for three hours in Geneva with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.
While both sides stated that the talks had “made progress,” significant gaps remain, and U.S. officials do not appear optimistic about narrowing them.
In remarks to Fox News, the U.S. vice president said the talks had “gone well” in some respects, but “in other respects, it was very clear that the president has drawn certain red lines that the Iranians are not yet prepared to acknowledge and move beyond.”
Vance explained that although Trump prefers to reach an agreement, he may ultimately decide that diplomacy “has reached its natural end.”
These developments come as the U.S. military buildup in the region has expanded to include two aircraft carriers, dozens of warships, hundreds of fighter jets, and multiple air defense systems, with additional forces still en route.
More than 150 U.S. military flights have transported weapons systems and ammunition to the Middle East. In the past twenty-four hours alone, fifty additional F-35, F-22, and F-16 fighter jets have been deployed to the region.
The standoff with Iran appears to have dragged on long enough that many Americans may have grown indifferent. However, sources suggest that war could break out sooner and be more intense than most people realize, particularly given Trump’s massive military mobilization and forceful rhetoric, which make it difficult for him to back down without substantial Iranian concessions on its nuclear program.
With Trump, all outcomes remain possible, but numerous indicators suggest he may resort to military action if negotiations fail. Israeli officials have confirmed that their government, which is pushing for a maximalist scenario targeting not only Iran’s nuclear and missile programs but also regime change, is preparing for a potential war within days.
Some U.S. sources told Axios that more time may be needed. Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said strikes could last weeks, while others believe the timeline could be shorter.
One Trump adviser stated: “The president is starting to grow frustrated. Some of those close to him warn against going to war with Iran, but I think there’s a 90 percent chance we will see military action in the coming weeks.”
Notably, U.S. officials said after Tuesday’s talks that Iran must present a detailed proposal within two weeks — similar to June 19, when the White House set a two-week deadline for Trump to decide between continuing negotiations or launching strikes. Three days later, he initiated “Operation Midnight Hammer.”
According to the U.S. outlet, there are no indications of an imminent diplomatic breakthrough with Iran, while signs that war is approaching continue to accumulate.









