Policy

Hundreds of casualties since the ceasefire: new toll of deaths from the Gaza war


Health authorities in the Gaza Strip have announced the latest death toll from the war that has devastated the territory for two years.

The Gaza Ministry of Health stated that the number of deaths since the outbreak of the war between Israel and Hamas in October 2023 has now exceeded 70,000 people. This announcement comes as the ceasefire, which came into effect on October 10, continues to hold despite mutual accusations of violations by both sides.

In its statement, the ministry reported that the total number of deaths in the war had reached 70,100.

It added that 354 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire began. It also said that two bodies had arrived at Gaza hospitals over the past 48 hours, one of which was recovered from under the rubble.

The ministry noted that the rise in the toll was due to the inclusion of data on 299 bodies after processing and verification by the relevant authorities.

Despite the truce, the Strip continues to face a deep humanitarian crisis.

The announcement coincides with the United Nations’ observance of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, marked annually on November 29.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres stated in a communiqué that this tragedy had, in many ways, tested the norms and laws that have guided the international community for generations.

He added that the killing of such a large number of civilians, the repeated displacement of an entire population, and the prevention of humanitarian aid from entering were unacceptable under any circumstances.

Guterres said that the recent ceasefire represented a glimmer of hope. It is now essential, he continued, for all parties to fully respect it and to work in good faith toward solutions that restore and strengthen the authority of international law.

At the beginning of the latest truce, Palestinian factions in Gaza were holding 20 hostages alive and the bodies of 28 dead hostages.

Since then, Hamas has released all surviving hostages and returned the remains of 26 deceased hostages.

In return, Israel has released around two thousand Palestinian detainees and handed over the bodies of hundreds of Palestinians.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights