The world is home to various types of fruits, each with its own unique shapes and flavors. Some fruits are known for their beautiful appearance. while others captivate consumers with their delightful aroma. However, it becomes quite unusual when a fruit like the “durian,” notorious for its strong odor. manages to attract consumers worldwide.
A recent report by HSBC Bank revealed that global. demand for durian fruit has increased by 400 percent on an annual basis. driven significantly by the frenzy of demand in China. which imported $6 billion worth of durian fruit. accounting for 91 percent of global demand.
Extreme Love and Hate for Durian
Agricultural engineer Ahmed Al-Qasim explains .that durian fruit has an extremely foul odor. but it contains many beneficial nutrients for health. There is no middle ground when it comes to this fruit. as people’s opinions about it are divided between strong dislike and strong affection.
According to Al-Qasim, durian fruit is referred to as the “Queen of Fruits” in Southeast Asia. It grows on tall trees in tropical rainforests in Malaysia. Indonesia, Brunei. the Philippines, and Thailand. The fruit is large. round, covered with spiky skin. and contains yellow flesh with a pungent taste.
Nutritionist Tala Al-Khatib. in an interview with Sky News Arabic. states that despite the bizarre differences in taste preferences. the health benefits of durian fruit are undeniable. She points out that durian fruit is rich in vitamins C, B, and A,. as well as minerals like potassium. iron, calcium, magnesium. sodium. and zinc. It also contains folic acid. and beneficial plant oils.
Al-Khatib reveals that durian fruit has several benefits, including:
- Aids Digestion. and Reduces Cholesterol: Durian fruit contains high levels of dietary fiber, essential for digestion. reducing conditions such as constipation. intestinal blockages. and bloating. It also helps reduce LDL cholesterol levels in the body. preventing its accumulation and damage to the heart. and blood vessels.
- Heart Protection: Durian fruit is rich in potassium. which lowers blood pressure. reducing stress on blood vessels and arteries. This, in turn. decreases the risk of developing conditions like atherosclerosis, heart attacks. and strokes.
- Anti-Aging: Durian fruit offers a wide array of antioxidant properties that help combat free radicals responsible for damaging live cells in the body. This, in turn, fights aging and delays the appearance of symptoms such as wrinkles. dark spots, and hair loss.
- Bone Health: Durian fruit is a significant source of minerals like magnesium. potassium, and copper. which help maintain strong bones.
- Anemia Treatment: Due to its high levels of folic acid. which is essential for red blood cell production. durian fruit helps treat anemia.