The leader of Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez al-Sarraj, declared that he intends to leave within six weeks as part of the efforts to negotiate in a peace deal.
In fact, Libya has suffered approximately a decade of violent disorder since the 2011 NATO-backed rebellion that stopped and killed veteran dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
It should be noted that the government of Al-Sarraj based on Tripoli has fought against a competitive administration in eastern Libya directed by strongman Khalifa Haftar, whose attack against the capital was repelled earlier this year.
Moreover, and after last month announcing a surprise ceasefire and promising to make national elections, representatives from the two parties have since met for peace discussions in Morocco.
During a brief televised address late Wednesday, Al-Sarraj declared that he was ready to leave his post in favor of a new executive determined by conversations. He said: I announce to my entire sincere wish to cede my functions to the next administration before the end of October at the latest, and he welcomed the preliminary and promising recommendations decided during the Morocco discussion.
He also added that the talks had outlined the process for determining a new Presidential Council and the appointment of a new head of government who would take office peacefully.
Otherwise, the Morocco summit called the Libyan Dialogue, assembled five members of the GNA and five from the competitive parliament based in the eastern city of Tobruk. Morocco had previously hosted discussions in 2015 that conducted to the creation of the GNA.
The UN’s mission in Libya (UNSMIL) praised on Thursday the courageous decision of Al-Sarraj to leave. It said in a statement: Sarraj’s announcement comes at a decisive turning point in Libya’s longstanding crisis when it is clear that the situation is no longer sustainable.