Policy

New Tension on NATO’s Eastern Flank: Drone Shot Down After Violating Romanian Airspace


Romania announced on Sunday that it had shot down a drone that had entered its airspace near the border with Ukraine, using a Spanish fighter jet, in a new incident on the eastern flank of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

Romania’s Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Sunday that a Spanish pilot flying an F-18 fighter jet as part of a NATO air-policing mission in Romania had shot down a drone that had illegally entered Romanian airspace.

The ministry said its radars detected the drone as it entered Romanian territory from Moldova, approximately 24 kilometers north of the city of Galați in the southeastern part of the country, near the Ukrainian border.

It explained that the Spanish fighter had “detected the target on radar and received authorization to engage it” before shooting down the drone at 5:01 a.m. local time.

The ministry added that the drone’s debris apparently fell in an uninhabited area between two villages, with no injuries reported.

According to the Defense Ministry, this was the fourth drone Romania has shot down this year, as the country has experienced repeated violations of its airspace over the past four years amid the Russia-Ukraine war.

Spanish Fighter Jet Deployed as Part of a NATO Mission

The drone was shot down by a Spanish F-18 fighter participating in a NATO air-policing mission in Romania.

Romania lies on NATO’s eastern flank and shares a 614-kilometer land border with Ukraine. It also has a coastline along the Black Sea, close to Ukrainian areas that have been targeted by Russian attacks.

Romanian authorities have repeatedly reported since 2023 that they have found drone debris following attacks targeting Ukrainian ports along the Danube River.

In July, Romanian pilots flying F-16 fighter jets shot down three Russian drones that had entered the country’s airspace. It was the first operation of its kind following dozens of similar incursions during more than four years of war.

Earlier this year, a Russian drone also crashed into a residential building in the city of Galați during a nighttime attack on Ukraine, injuring two people.

Drone Shot Down Near Bucharest

At the end of July, Romania shot down a drone approximately 100 kilometers from the capital, Bucharest, in the first such operation since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began in February 2022.

Other countries on NATO’s eastern flank have experienced similar incidents, with Poland and the Baltic states reporting drone incursions into their airspace.

On Friday, the Alliance announced that Italian fighter jets had shot down a drone that had entered Latvian airspace.

Russian Attack on Kyiv

The Romanian incident coincided with a new Russian attack on the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, on Sunday, with explosions heard early in the morning following an attack involving ballistic missiles.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the capital had come under a ballistic missile attack before authorities reported fires at three locations involving non-residential buildings.

The local military administration reported at least one person injured in an initial assessment.

In Kryvyi Rih in central Ukraine, authorities said two industrial facilities had been hit by Russian strikes, while regional governor Oleksandr Hanja reported one person killed and six others injured.

Moscow Hit by a Large-Scale Drone Attack

On the Russian side, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin announced that the capital had come under a large-scale drone attack overnight from Saturday into Sunday.

Sobyanin said that 600 drones had been heading toward the Moscow region from Saturday evening until 6:30 a.m. local time, adding that air defenses had destroyed 201 of them.

Earlier, Sobyanin had announced that Russian air defenses had shot down at least 96 drones threatening Moscow overnight.

He said the attacks came as Ukraine intensified its use of drones to strike targets deep inside Russian territory, particularly energy infrastructure and e-commerce facilities.

Escalation in Long-Range Attacks

The Russia-Ukraine war is witnessing a reciprocal escalation in the use of long-range missiles and drones.

Russia launched a record number of missiles at Ukraine in July, according to an analysis by Agence France-Presse based on daily reports from the Ukrainian Air Force, while Kyiv is pressing U.S. President Donald Trump to provide additional air-defense systems.

According to a report by the United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine, last July was the deadliest month for civilians in Ukraine since May 2022, with 437 people killed and 2,610 others injured.

Since the beginning of the year, the United Nations has recorded 12,477 civilian casualties, including 1,839 deaths and 10,638 injuries, representing a 44% increase compared with the same period last year.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights