San Diego attack: family of one of the perpetrators breaks silence as new details emerge
New accounts are emerging regarding the background of the perpetrators of the attack on an Islamic center in San Diego, United States, earlier this week.
In an apology statement, the family of Caleb Vazquez, one of the teenagers involved in the mass shooting at the Islamic center in San Diego last Monday, said he “had autism and was influenced by online hate speech,” according to what was reported by the New York Post.
The family of the 18-year-old said in a statement issued by attorney Colin Rudolph: “Over the past few days, our family has been trying to come to terms with the horrific actions our son committed against the community of the San Diego Islamic Center.”
They added: “We want to begin by acknowledging that no words or actions can repair the harm caused by his actions. We are deeply devastated and shocked by what happened. We unequivocally condemn these hateful and violent acts.”
According to the details, Vazquez and Kane Clark, 17, forced their way into the mosque and opened fire, killing three people on Monday before fleeing the scene in a white car. The two teenagers livestreamed the entire attack.
Under Vazquez’s influence, Clark, who was driving, shot Vazquez twice in the head, killing him. Clark then shot himself, according to the report.
Before the attack, the two teenagers had published a manifesto containing images and hate messages calling for a race war. The weapons used in the attack were also covered with racist inscriptions, including “race war now.”
New information
Further details continue to emerge, with security sources telling the newspaper that Vazquez had left a psychiatric treatment facility just one day before carrying out the deadly attack that killed three people.
He had previously been under monitoring by authorities and was subject to a restraining order related to firearm possession after police visited his home in Chula Vista last year following reports concerning social media posts.
In a related development, the other teenager, Kane Clark, was also reportedly flagged to authorities after his mother contacted emergency services on the day of the attack when he left home carrying firearms that were stored inside.
Despite these prior warning signs, the two teenagers managed to reach the San Diego Islamic center and carry out the attack.
Authorities say the attack is linked to extremist online hate speech, while investigations continue into how the perpetrators were radicalized and what content or networks may have contributed to their actions.









