On Monday, Tehran alerted Iranians against holding wedding and funeral gatherings when novel coronavirus outbreak in the country indicated no decrease, producing another 212 lives.
Health ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said:
Despite repeated calls to not hold weddings and mourning ceremonies, reports from across the country still indicate they are taking place, and she added in remarks aired on state television: the presence of people at these overcrowded events increases the risk of mass infection.
However, there is no nationwide ban on weddings and funerals, the sites in which they are organized have been closed and authorities have repeatedly urged people to keep such gatherings small. The Islamic republic has been fighting to keep the Middle East’s deadliest novel coronavirus outbreak since the announcement of its first cases on February 19.
Health ministry spokeswoman reported that another 212 people had died by the COVID-19 outbreak in the past 24 hours, increasing the overall death in the country since February to 15.912. She also added that there were 2,434 new infections during the same period which took the total of cases to 293,606.
Moreover, Government spokesman Ali Rabiei has also evaluated positive for the novel coronavirus, in what state news agency IRNA reported on Monday. He also had been resting at home since late last week after showing some symptoms but has since been hospitalized, as said IRNA. He is the latest high-profile Iranian official to touch by the novel coronavirus. Many have died while most have recovered.
It is noted that the deaths by the virus and infections in Iran have increased to the high records since hitting months-long lows in May. That has incited authorities to make masks mandatory in enclosed public spaces and reimposed restrictions in some areas.