Middle east

Salam reveals progress in efforts to consolidate a fragile ceasefire


The Lebanese Prime Minister believes that increased American involvement in mediation and guarantee efforts enhances the chances of maintaining the ceasefire and preventing its complete collapse, despite ongoing escalation in southern Lebanon.

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam stated that the process of consolidating the ceasefire in the south is witnessing a notable development marked by greater US involvement in mediation and security guarantees. This, he said, improves the prospects of preserving the truce and preventing its breakdown, following its extension for an additional 45 days under still-discussed political and security arrangements.

In an interview with the “Assas” website, Salam explained that this stronger American presence compared to previous stages reflects a more serious international effort to prevent a renewed military escalation. He considered this a positive factor in stabilizing the ceasefire, despite continued fragility on the ground in southern Lebanon.

Regarding proposals related to so-called “security reciprocity” — linking the withdrawal of Israeli forces from certain border areas to the deployment of the Lebanese army in their place — the Prime Minister confirmed that this idea remains at an early discussion stage and has not yet evolved into a final formula or binding agreement, stressing that talks remain open.

These developments come amid a fragile ceasefire in southern Lebanon since mid-April 2026, following weeks of military confrontations that erupted in March of the same year, against the backdrop of regional escalation linked to the US–Israeli war against Iran, making Lebanon part of the broader regional tensions.

The ceasefire was extended by 45 days to allow for its consolidation and to open the door to indirect negotiations under US sponsorship, focusing on security arrangements that include a gradual Israeli withdrawal from areas south of the Litani River in exchange for expanded deployment of the Lebanese army.

Hezbollah has warned the government against drifting toward what it described as “deviant” political options that could pave the way for arrangements with Israel, calling for avoiding any path that could lead to a peace agreement amid ongoing tensions in the south.

On the other side, political factions supporting the government accuse Hezbollah of political and military escalation that has dragged Lebanon into the regional conflict, particularly due to its links with the ongoing war between Iran on one side and the United States and Israel on the other.

Meanwhile, Israeli security sources say that Tel Aviv believes the complete elimination of Hezbollah’s arsenal is not achievable even in the event of a full military incursion into the south. This, they argue, reinforces the need for a long-term political settlement rather than relying solely on military solutions.

The growing US role comes as international pressure increases on Israel to halt repeated violations of the ceasefire. Lebanese official estimates report more than 1,700 violations in recent weeks, including airstrikes, artillery shelling, and various explosions.

On the ground, two people were killed and a third injured on Tuesday in Israeli airstrikes targeting a motorcycle in the Bint Jbeil district and a municipal vehicle in Harouf in the Nabatieh district in southern Lebanon, alongside air raids on several towns and villages in the south.

The Lebanese National News Agency reported that “an enemy drone targeted a motorcycle in the town of Frun in Bint Jbeil district, resulting in a martyr,” adding that this occurred “simultaneously with enemy airstrikes on the town.”

In another incident, the agency said that citizen Nasser Ibrahim Nasser was killed from wounds sustained earlier in a drone strike on a municipal vehicle in Harouf. It added that Nasser and Harouf municipal council member Jafar al-Chami had been preparing to distribute bread to residents when the strike occurred.

Earlier, the agency reported that an Israeli drone had targeted a municipal vehicle parked beside the Harouf municipality building, injuring a council member in stable condition and another civilian in critical condition while they were preparing to distribute bread.

Israeli warplanes also carried out strikes on Chehabiyeh in the Tyre district, as well as on the Rayhan heights in the Jezzine area.

Overnight, Israeli air raids hit Kafra and the outskirts of Kfardounine in Bint Jbeil district, as well as a house on the main road in Kafra. The Aarid Dibbin area in Marjeyoun district was also shelled, according to the same source.

Amid continued fragility on the ground and intensified international mediation, the ceasefire in southern Lebanon appears to be undergoing a critical test, with the expanding US role seen as the most decisive factor in preventing its collapse and potentially opening the door to a more sustainable de-escalation path.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights