We Are Studying Trump’s Statements: The Blue House in Shock
The Blue House, the official seat of South Korea’s presidency, is examining U.S. President Donald Trump’s statements regarding military cooperation.
In a statement, the South Korean presidency said it was reviewing Trump’s remarks concerning a reduction in the scale of joint military exercises. It added that it hoped positive relations between Washington and Pyongyang would lead to productive talks.
The South Korean presidency also said it would continue diplomatic consultations on military cooperation between Washington and Seoul regarding the Strait of Hormuz, while discussing the details of joint military exercises with the United States.
In a social media post on Sunday, Trump said he had instructed U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to reduce the scale of joint military exercises with South Korea.
Trump also stated in his post that Seoul had refused to participate in measures against Iran.
In a message posted on Truth Social just hours before the scheduled exercises were due to begin, Trump said that although it was too late to cancel the exercises altogether, he was “not happy” that the United States had previously agreed to participate in them.
The U.S. president also highlighted his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
“These exercises are not only costly, but they also send an inappropriate and totally hostile signal to a country that, throughout the presidency of Donald J. Trump, has been respectful and poses no threat,” he wrote.
Annual Military Exercises
The annual joint military exercises, known as “Ulchi Freedom Shield,” will begin on Monday and continue through August 27, with around 18,000 members of the South Korean armed forces taking part.
Officials said several days earlier that the exercises were expected to include operations aimed at countering drones, disrupting Global Positioning System (GPS) signals, and responding to cyberattacks, in order to adapt to North Korea’s evolving capabilities.
The two Koreas technically remain at war, as the conflict between them, which lasted from 1950 to 1953, ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. They are separated by a demilitarized zone along the border, which is considered one of the most heavily fortified areas in the world.
South Korean President Lee Jae-myung proposed this week holding talks with North Korea to formally bring the Korean War to an end, at a time when Pyongyang is strengthening its relations with Russia and consolidating its status as a nuclear power.
Pyongyang Condemns the Exercises
On Friday, North Korea condemned the joint military exercises scheduled for the following week between U.S. and South Korean forces, warning that it could respond with stronger “deterrence” measures.
Pyongyang has repeatedly declared that there will be “no turning back” regarding its possession of nuclear weapons. This came after the collapse of the 2019 summit between leader Kim Jong-un and U.S. President Donald Trump, which broke down over disagreements regarding the scope of denuclearization and the easing of the extensive international sanctions imposed on North Korea.
In July, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification announced that it was abandoning the goal of prioritizing the dismantlement of North Korea’s nuclear program, choosing instead to focus on preventing further development of the program.









